The Dirt On My Equipment

The first time I touched a metal detector was in the mid 1980s and it was a Garrett. Back then the machines where very different, they were heavy, required a lot of 9 volt batteries, and of course had analog displays and emitted loud tones.

When I decided a few years back that I was ready to get into metal detecting again I was amazed at the choice of equipment and the number of manufactures. I did the usual online searching, watched YouTube videos, and not knowing if I'd get hooked, I set a modest budget. In the end I determined that I'd go with the name I knew best and purchased a Garrett Ace 300i as it promised to be an upgrade to the very popular Ace 250 that appeared in many of my searches as a good choice for people getting into the hobby.

The bundle that I purchased included 3 accessories, the Garrett ClearSound Easy Stow headphones, Ace Environmental Coverup, and a cover for the included 7" x 10" searchcoil. The headphones are not super sturdy but they are comfortable and you'll not be listening to music with them, they'll also keep your ears warm during cool weather. The Coverup helps to protect the Ace detectors from dirt and water, the coil is waterproof but the electronics are not on this line of detectors. The coil cover never leaves my coil, particularly at the beach, it keeps the plastic coil from nicks and scratches. When I added a sand scoop my purchase came in at a bit over $400 CA. It didn't take long figure out that a good pair of gloves, a small digging spade and a digger's pouch would come in handy so I spent another $50 +/-.

After a year of treasure hunting with my Ace 300i, I decided that a waterproof pinpointer would come in handy. The Ace does come with a pinpointing feature but when your target is deep or very small you can spend more time than desired to locate it. A handheld pinpointer comes in very handy when you are trying to locate items that have been in the ground for a long time and have taken on the color of the soil or are too small to catch in your scoop. Again, back to Garrett for the Pro-Pointer AT, a little under $200 CA. 

With the basics covered, I've been acquiring a few things as I need them. This past season I was fortunate in finding a few valuables, and some finds that were difficult to accurately identify. Amazon became a great resource for tools to help figure out what I'd discovered including:
I was careful to keep an eye out for sales in the above purchases, I'm also a Prime member so that helped to keep costs down. All in the 4 items above cost about $120.

Additionally, on my digs I usually carry a small spray bottle of water, a magnifying glass, a small LED flashlight, and an old toothbrush. Most of these you'll have laying around or can obtain with a quick visit to the dollar store.

If you are thinking of getting started you don't have to spend thousands of dollars, though it would be easy to do so. Think of this hobby like taking up a sport such as golf for the first time, unless money is not a concern for you, it would be foolhardy to purchase the very best of gear only to find out it's not really something you like to do. I suspect I'll be swinging my Ace for a few more years until it must be replaced or I'm fortunate enough to find enough to fund an upgrade. I'm in no hurry, which is a good trait for a detectorist.

ps. I've found a supplier with great prices, prompt service, and free shipping within Canada on most items. Shoutout to Carry All Canada Metal Detector Sales!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Language of Metal Detecting

Hello World!

A wrap up of 2018 metal detecting season including my top finds